Here’s our honest review of flying on Japan Airlines (JAL) with infants
- They were extremely helpful. Besides having to wait on hold for upwards of 10-15 minutes, they fulfilled all of our requests (bulk head, bassinets, kids meals).
- They charge 10% of the fair for each lap infant. Includes a checked bag and a kids meal.
- They were very nice at check in.
- We checked our stroller at the gate about 30 minutes prior to boarding. They provided a plastic bag for it.
- Airline is very clean and modern. We flew on the Dreamliner. Seats seemed spacious for coach.
- Flight attendants were very pleasant. They set up the bassinets shortly after takeoff. Provided pillows and blankets.
- They come around with a kids toy from the airline – nice touch!
- Kids meals were a bit unusual. Came with a banana and muffin at the beginning of the flight. The meal was some sort of chicken salad (I think). Didn’t seem too appetizing.
- You must change your infant in the lavatory. We learned the hard way! The changing table goes over the toilet and is actually clean and okay. (Ok this isn’t really a con, but so much easier to change your baby on your lap!).
- Flight attendants were VERY awkward with the babies making noise during “quiet” time. They turn the lights off about 2 hours after takeoff (even though it was only 3pm Boston time). It’s hard to get a young kid to go to sleep at that time. Every time my kids made a peep, they stood over us. What are we supposed to do?!? They also asked, numerous times, that we get up and go to the lavatory area, as to not disturb other passengers. I should add that the flight attendants on the Tokyo-HCM flight were much better with the babies.
- It’s hard to eat with a baby on your lap. Flight attendants weren’t good about bringing us food after service. Also didn’t clear quick enough – this is very challenging with a lap infant.
- Food at the Narita airport was scarce. I was excited for Japanese food but unfortunately, didn’t get any!
All things considered, the Boston to Tokyo flight is fantastic. Non stop on a beautiful, clean airline. I wish the flight attendance were a bit more kid friendly and attentive, but overall, it was a positive experience. We will definitely fly with them again.